Friday, June 01, 2007

The Glass Castle

Author: Jeannette Walls.
I just finished reading The Glass Castle. I whipped through it in two days, it was so good!

Currently, Jeannette Walls is a gossip columnist for msnbc.com dishing on other people's lives in her column, The Scoop. However, her memoir bears absolutely no similarity to the people she writes about now. Two quotes on the book's cover depict it's nature perfectly.
1. "Walls has joined the company of writers such Mary Karr and Frank McCourt who have been able to transform their sad memories into fine art." -- People
2. "On the eighth day, when God was handing out whining priviledges, he came upon Jeannette Walls and said, 'For you, an unlimited lifetime supply.' Apparently, Walls declined His kind offer." -- Chicago Tribune

Those quotes give you a good inkling as to what you are in for. She went from living like a gypsy, sleeping in a cardboard box and often going hungry to living on Park Avenue. It truly is a remarkable story. While reading it, many times I found my mouth hanging open and thinking, "I know some people live like this, but it's just so hard to believe."

Her inscription reads, "To John (her husband), for convincing me that everyone who is interesting has a past." I love that!

If you want to read more about Jeannette, I found two a good interview. And another interview. Here's one more from mediabistro - before she published The Glass Castle.
But be warned they do give away some of the story.