Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Lordy, Lordy Look Who's 40!

My sister-in-law turns 40 today! I don't think she's too happy about it, but 40 can be exciting. After all, every where you turn people say 40 is the new 30, right? I hope it's true and not just a bunch of people wanting to feel younger!

I had the hardest time thinking up a non-cheesy 40th birthday gift (i.e. a bottle of Exlax), so I thought about passing along some ideas I discovered. And really these could be for many milestone birthdays.

Birthday Gift DVDs - a 30 minute DVD with original newsreel video of news, world events, sports, and entertainment from that year.

Birthday Newspaper - What happened on the exact day the birthday person was born? Here you can find actual newspapers from that day, not copies.

40 lottery tickets

Gift certificate to a spa.

CD with favorite songs from year she/he was born or from childhood. You could buy one or make one yourself.

If you are somewhat crafty, have everyone make a page for a scrap book and put it together. It's actually quite easy because everyone else is doing most of the work. You just have to worry about the cover and your own page... and organizing it, I guess.

I finally settled on a home accent piece of art that reads: Enjoy the Journey - Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away.

Happy 40th!