Thursday, November 02, 2006

Are You Useful?


I realize I might be treading on thin ice by bringing up a political figure in a blog about amazing finds. So, if you'd rather not "go there," please feel free to skip to the next post. However, I assure you my intentions are not to sway you one way or the other, but only to make you aware.
What ever your political beliefs are, put those aside for a moment and take a look at a Senator from Illinios, Barack Obama. Whether this man is in my political party or not (for you to be non-bias while reading this, I won't mention his affiliation), he has some amazing things to say... and maybe, just maybe, we should start listening to some of those things. In one interview I saw recently, he said one of the most important things we can pass on to our children is the ability to think of others.

"One of the values that I think we need to instill in our country, in our children, is a sense, are you useful? Are you useful to other people? Are you making other people's lives a little bit better?"

What strikes me most about this man is how genuine he is. I believe he is the real thing. Now, I'm not a complete idiot. The man is in politics, so he knows how to talk the talk. But if you observe what he says, the way he looks at his wife, his admiration for his daughters, and not to mention the respect he receives from all sides of government, you will see a rare politician.

"If my wife thinks that I'm a solid guy and if my daughters know that I love them and want to spend time with them, then that is probably the most important reward that I receive."

Now, I'm not going into his political beliefs for this article. That is not what this post is about. I just want to provide a brief snapshot of his personality, and you can decide if you want to know more about his aspirations and accomplishments. If you do, here is his website. Senator Obama has also authored some books. Here are the Amazon.com links (bargain prices):
The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance

Mark my words, this is a man to watch for future elections. I think he is going to be amazing.
Some might say he already is.