Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Burn After Reading

While in Kansas City, MO this weekend, my husband and I went to see Burn After Reading: Intelligence Is Relative.

Go see it. Go, go, go. Run to the nearest theater. Get the sitter lined up right now and see it tonight. Be spontaneous. Nothing is better than laughing through a date (I don't mean laughing at your date, of course).

It's a Coen brothers movie. So you know it's funny. It's much funnier than Fargo and not quite as dark. Still a tad dark but also an absolute riot.
It's unbelievable cast includes:
George Clooney
Frances McDormand (who is married to Joel Coen)
John Malkovich
Tilda Swinton
Brad Pitt
and more actors you will definitely recognize.

Now, believe it or not I'm in the minority here... I'm not a huge Brad Pitt fan. I like him, he's ok to look at, but I don't get the all the hub-bub surrounding him. But I will admit, he is damn funny in this movie. He plays his character flawlessly.

Speaking of Fargo. I have to tell you this quick story. While we were in Kansas City, a bartender asked us where we were from. We said Minneapolis/St. Paul. To which he replied, "Really? You don't have that Fargo accent." Can I tell you how much I despise that comment! I wanted to say, "That's because it's a Fargo accent. Not a Minnesotan accent. Fool." While, I understand the difference isn't worlds apart, there is still a difference. Not that there's anything wrong with the Fargo accent...

The two funniest scenes to watch for are when Brad Pitt and Frances McDormand are on the phone with John Malkovich and when Brad Pitt is in John Malkovich's car. If you like that humor, you may have tears rolling down your cheeks.

This is a highly confidential editorial on this movie. Please Burn After Reading this.