Monday, December 22, 2008

Last Minute Cookies

Presents? Check. Christmas dinner menu? Check. Relatives know what time to come for Christmas? Check. Cleaning? Well, it's getting there. All my cookies are baked? Yikes, no, I still need more cookies. We have family coming Wednesday. We are going to the in-laws on Thursday. And we are heading up to the cabin for the weekend. I will need cookies for all the occasions. Plus, I will want to horde some for myself. I mean it is the holidays and all!

If you are still searching for some cookies to bake for the upcoming holidays, I have a recipe for you. I'm not kidding, every time I make these White Chocolate Raspberry cookies, people rave about them. They are delicious.

Ingredients:
8 oz white baking bar 1/2 cup butter (no substitutes, though I use unsalted, just my preference)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 oz. white baking bar
1/2 tsp. shortening

Melt 4 oz. of the white baking bar over low heat (or follow package instructions for melting in microwave). Set aside to cool.

Beat butter in a large mixing bowl with for about 30 seconds or till softened. Add the sugar, baking soda, and salt. Beat till combined. Beat in the eggs and melted white baking bar till combined. Beat in as much of the flour till combined. Chop remaining 4 oz. of white baking bar and stir/mix into batter.

Drop batter by rounded spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 7 to 9 minutes or until cookies are (very) lightly browned. Cool for a minute. Move cookies to wire rack and cool.

You can do the following step when cookies have cooled or right before serving.
Heat and stir the jam in small saucepan over low heat till melted. Spoon about 1/2 tsp. of jam onto top of each cookie. Heat remaining 3 oz. of white baking bar and shortening (I do not use the shortening). Drizzle each cookie with some of the melted white baking bar. Refrigerate about 15 minutes to firm chocolate, if necessary.

Makes about 48 delicious cookies.