Wednesday, April 11, 2007

One Step At a Time

This is the most amazing thing I've come across in a long, long time. As an entrepreneur one of my goals is to find ways to give back. Blake Mycoskie, founder of TOMS shoes, has certainly found an inspiring and innovative way to give back.

Short story version: Blake was in Argentina where he bought a pair of comfortable Argentine shoes. Before leaving he observed the children he saw in villages - they didn't wear or own shoes. The result? Their feet were terribly beat up from walking miles each day to get water for their families. Then, the ultimate idea struck Blake. He was going to make a similar version of this Argentine shoe he purchased and for every pair he sold, he would donate one pair to a child.

I've never seen a more generous donation program from a small business. It is truly inspiring. It makes me wonder if I could do a similar program with Emily Allyn. I am seriously going to look into it. The big question, how to find the people who would pay $30+ for a onesie or toddler shirt? Even though the customer would be donating another onesie or shirt to a child-in-need, I would need to find the market. Would you buy it?

If this story intrigues you, go to the TOMS shoes website and read more. Heck, maybe even buy a pair! Plus there are interesting YouTube videos.

As our friends at the GAP for Product (RED) asked, "Can a T-shirt change the world?" - I ask you, Can shoes change the world? These can.