Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I Want To Thank McCain

McCain just conceeded to Obama. I watched McCain's speech on TV. Although this blog is about Amazing Finds for Moms and Tots, I want to post this simply because this election has been amazing. Either way we made history - either with a black president or the first female vice president.

McCain's concession speech was gracious and honest. It could have been his best speech throughout the campaign. I thought he was very powerful when he stated,
"Senator Obama and I have had and argued our differences, and he has prevailed. No doubt many of those differences remain. These are difficult times for our country. And I pledge to him tonight to do all in my power to help him lead us through the many challenges we face.
I urge all Americans who supported me to join me in not just congratulating him, but offering our next president our good will and earnest effort to find ways to come together to find the necessary compromises to bridge our differences and help restore our prosperity, defend our security in a dangerous world, and leave our children and grandchildren a stronger, better country than we inherited.
Whatever our differences, we are fellow Americans. And please believe me when I say no association has ever meant more to me than that."


My only hope is people heard that part of his speech and we truly can come together. Pipe dream? Maybe. But otherwise I'm afraid all those younger citizens and new citizens who registered and voted in record numbers may go on believing people serving in politics are not listening to their voices and once again nothing gets done.

Obama has a slate full of problems to solve in our country. It will be interesting to see which ones he/we can and will tackle first and foremost. Can we turn things around in four short years? As Obama would say, "Yes, we can!"